$500 Cash Awarded to Individual or Organization with Highest Number of Points*
In Memory of Ann and Bob Podskoc
WHAT: Are GCS Community Service Awards? The purpose of these awards is to reward and recognize individuals and organizations throughout the GCS Community for their efforts to assist in extending the mission of GCS by helping cancer patients and their families. Winner determined by individual or organization earning highest number of points based on criteria as determined by GCS.*
WHEN: February 1, 2014 thru December 31. 2014
WHY: GCS held its first “official fundraiser” in December, 2011 with about 50 volunteers. With the $1500 raised, GCS was able to offer immediate assistance to a few cancer patients for living and medical expenses. We soon realized there was a greater need in the Middle GA community than we had thought: we needed to discover ways to raise more money to help more people and also spread the word about GCS as a resource for cancer victims. We were truly blessed with many businesses and individuals that helped us organize fund raising events, resulting in GCS being able to provide financial aid to several cancer victims in the Middle GA area. Our greatest need now is PEOPLE… volunteers from all over Middle GA to help us raise awareness of GCS and it’s purpose in churches, schools, civic and social clubs. How to make this happen… the GCS Community Service Awards were created!
WHO: Open to individuals, churches, schools, civic and community clubs
HOW: $500 cash awarded to individual or organization based on highest total of points earned through community service activities (An extensive list of GCS approved activities is on following pages).
Each hour of service or activity earns one point.
Following is a list of suggested volunteer activities and projects. Feel free to use these, however, we highly encourage you to develop your own ideas, as you earn extra points for original ideas. All ideas not listed must be submitted in writing (form attached) and receive prior approval by the GCS CSA Committee:
- Transportation for cancer patients to doctor appointments, grocery store, pharmacy, chemo treatments
- Errands, i.e. Medicare/Medicaid issues, lab work, etc
- Cancer Support Companion, i.e. Phone calls to cancer patients, cards or small “thinking of you” gifts, prayer companion, drop in visits just to say “hello”, drop in with food items, especially during chemo weeks
- Fund raisers or events for GCS
- Social Media Coordinator to manage GCS web site, FB page and Twitter accounts
- Speakers for schools, churches, community organizations to inform about GCS mission and how they can help, also to let cancer patients know how GCS can help them (NOTE: GCS will provide you with a script and PowerPoint presentation if you choose this activity).
- Participating is GCS annual fundraising events, i.e. Tea Party,
- Kids’ Rodeo, Papa John’s, Childre Phone-A-Thon, GMC Pink Out, Bike-A-Thon, Golf Tournament, GAgivesday, Fishing Tournament
For more information, contact Robbie White: (478) 731-9390